JAKARTA - Team Jagonya Ayam driver Sean Gelael has recorded satisfying results in two pre-season tests. The 22-year-old Formula 2 driver has developed better understanding regarding the new PREMA Racing car ahead of the start of the 2019 season.
During a pre-season test in Jerez on February 26-28, Sean achieved positive results in both qualification and race simulations. Sean consistently reached top 10 by recording competitive lap times.
These results surely boosted Sean's confidence. Sean often finished outside top 10 last season. Pre-season is a reflection of the season proper. Sean surely looks much better this year.
During a pre-season test in Catalunya on March 5-7, Sean continued his positive trend. Sean was able to maintain his good performance.
Sean was unaffected by the different characteristics of the two circuits. Sean repeated his good results in Jerez. Sean consistently grabbed top 10 in Catalunya.
"This is good momentum for me. I usually face troubles when doing qualification simulations in pre-season tests. The impact is felt during the season proper. Now I feel something different. I feel like I become one with the car. It helps me to make competitive lap times, "Sean said.
With good qualification results, Sean believes he can collect more championship points. Sean also believes that podium is not impossible.
Last season, Sean almost won in Monte Carlo, Monaco. Sean finished second despite starting from 12th place.
Sean also noted positive results during race simulations. The 22-year-old driver recorded competitive average time on the last two days of testing in Barcelona. In fact, on the second day, Sean recorded the best race run average time by outperforming several senior drivers who are favored to win this year's Formula 2 season such as Nyck De Vries, Luca Ghiotto, and Sergio Sette Camara.
Started in Sakhir, Bahrain in the end of March, this season is Sean's fourth full year in Formula 2. This year, Sean did not change team for the first time.
This condition will make Sean more familiar with the character of the team. It subsequently will help Sean to be a better racer.
In the PREMA Racing team, Sean will be accompanied by Mick Schumacher, son of seven-time Formula 1 champion and legendary driver Michael Schumacher.
Pre Season Test Result
Jerez (10 Best Time)
1. Mick Schumacher (PREMA Racing) 1:24.028
2. Jack Aitken (Campos Racing) 1:24.240
3. Louis Deletraz (Carlin) 1:24.247
4. Nicholas Latifi (DAMS) 1:24.294
5. Nyck de Vries (ART Grand Prix) 1:24.357
6. Dorian Boccolacci (Campos Racing) 1:24.401
7. Giuliano Alesi (Trident) 1:24.401
8. Luca Ghiotto (UNI Virtuosi) 1:24.516
9. Sean Gelael (PREMA Racing) 1:24.528
10. Richard Verschoor (MP Motorsport) 1:24.638
Catalunya (10 Best Time)
1. Nyck de Vries (ART Grand Prix) 1:27.024
2. Luca Ghiotto (UNI Virtuosi) 1:27.263
3. Louis Deletraz (Carlin) 1:27.421
4. Guanyu Zhou (UNI Virtuosi) 1:27.454
5. Nobuharu Matsushita (Carlin) 1:27.585
6. Nikita Mazepin (ART Grand Prix) 1:27.731
7. Jack Aitken (Campos Racing) 1:27.731
8. Sergio Sette Camara (DAMS) 1:27.821
9. Sean Gelael (PREMA Racing) 1:27.959
10. Ralph Boschung (Trident) 1:27.960